Hairdressers will tell you not to, that if you go platinum blonde it will destroy your hair..
I can tell you now that is NOT true! I’ve been platinum blonde since I was about 16 and I love it!
People always ask me how I got my hair so blonde and healthy. And are shocked I’m naturally a dark brunette. I didn’t get here without a few mistakes, though. In the beginning, I remember I once dyed my hair and it turned a grayish colour somehow, I cried. When I tried to get it back blonde I destroyed it with some ‘Nice & Easy’… my hair started falling out in clumps! It was a true horror story for any girl. (P.S stay away from Nice & Easy Blonde)
This article can help you AVOID my mistakes and have healthy hair from the start.
To start off here are some Do’s and Don’ts to LIVE by:
- Condition your hair extensively
- use oils and leave in conditioners
- do your roots every 4-6 weeks
- Don’t don’t don’t put bleach over already bleached hair – I cannot stress this enough
- Don’t use multiple bleaching /hair dying products. Find one you like or know you can rely on and stick to it!!
- Don’t use Nice & Easy for blonde hair, I’ve used it before and it destroyed my hair (an example of mistakes I made in the beginning that you can avoid) some people like it but I do not..
- Don’t blow dry and straighten/curl your hair in the same sitting. I try to avoid the hair dryer all the time and only straighten/curl my hair.
Starting off with washing your hair you want to find a shampoo that is Sulfate-Free I have been using Sulfate-free shampoo for about 8 months now and can see such a difference in my hair! The sulfate-free shampoo I use is Ion’s Sulfate-Free Shampoo (Bonus this is also 100% Vegan) pictured on the left
Usually, the bleach turns my hair white blonde off the bat, but if there is ever too much of a yellow tone (which I hate on me!!) I’ll use Touch of Silver Shampoo. I personally use Pro:voke brand but there are many brands you can find at Sally’s etc.
For Conditioner I keep it pretty simple. Tresemme Moisture Rich. I try different types but always stick with the Tresemme brand. I usually try to leave conditioner in my hair for 5-10 mins in the shower, this is super in helping your hair get smooth and soft.
TIP: Put some conditioner in the ends of your hair before washing for 10-15 minutes to get ultra-soft & smooth hair.
For Bleaching my hair and doing my roots it is important to use SCALP Bleach. Regular hair bleach is fine for the rest of your hair but will irritate your scalp and dry it out.
I use Quick Blue High Performance Powder Lightener from L’Oreal Technique by L’Oreal with Pure White Creme Developer – 30 Volume by Clairol Professional. The Powder bleach has information on the container about how much to mix with how much developer so it is very easy.
After wash products
Here’s where it get super important!! I truly believe my hair wouldn’t be as good today as it is without these few products that I use religiously. All cost in and around $5 which means I spent $20 on the 4 and they last for like 7 -12 months, $20 a year to keep your hair healthy seems good to me.
They’re listed in order of importance.
- Miracle Hair Insurance Leave-In Conditioner by Aussie
This is my FAVORITE product for my hair in the whole world!!
Aussie is an amazing hair care brand! I also love their dry shampoo.
It also lasts really long, I’ve had my current bottle for more than 6 months.
- Argan Oil I use Pure Botanicals Leave-In treatment by
OM SHE Aromatherapy. This one has also made such a difference to my hair! I’ve been using it for just over a year now and its made a huge difference. it also helps get rid of a yellow tone if you need.
- L’Oreal Paris Triple Resist Ultimate Strength Solution
- Tresemme Split Remedy – This is to rid your split ends.
You should also get regular hair cuts to keep your hair healthy and grow out.
I hope this post helps you guys!! These are the best products in my opinion. All products listed at bottom.
Now I’m not one for taking good pictures of myself but hopefully, these pictures show you my hair condition over the past few years..
- Ion Sulfate-Free Shampoo: Available at Sally’s Beauty r online Here
- Pro:voke Touch of Silver Shampoo available Here
- Tresemme Moister Rich Conditioner available at all drug stores, Walmart and Target etc available online Here
- Quick Blue High Performance Powder Lightener from L’Oreal Technique available at Sally’s or online Here
- White Creme Developer – 30 Volume by Clairol Professional available at Sally’s or online Here
- Miracle Hair Insurance Leave-In Conditioner by Aussie available at selected stores and online Here
- Pure Botanicals Leave-In treatment by OM SHE Aromatherapy can be picked up in Marshalls or TK Maxx if your lucky or available online Here
- L’Oreal Paris Triple Resist Ultimate Strength Solution available at most drug stores & online Here
- Tresemme Split Remedy available at some drug stores and online Here