(Photo by Maria Farrell)
So you may have seen on my Snapchat (@EverythingObses) or my Instagram that I did a little day trip with a few of my friends when I was back in Ireland. We traveled to Clare, which is on the west coast of the country. We decided on Clare, as I had been dying to see the Father Ted house for years. So began my plans for ‘My Day in Co. Clare’.
We decided to visit Aillwee Cave as it was something we all wanted to see. There is sooo much to do in Clare, it really is a must see area of Ireland. We left Longford in my Jeep and drove through the fabulous Burren to the Father Ted house. Then onto Aillwee Cave. The Jeep was so handy for when we were pulling in on the side of the road to take pictures, as some areas were very rocky.
Everywhere was so beautiful, I hope you enjoy these pictures.
I’ve put together a list of MUST SEE’s in Clare, below.
Top 5 things to do in Clare
- The Cliffs of Moher – an obvious one, but it’s a must! I’ve been many times over the years and really, it’s just breathtaking. Be cautious of the sudden cross winds – stay behind the barrier walls (they’re there for a reason!), do NOT get too close to the edge.
- Doolin – This is a small town right beside the Cliffs of Moher. So picturesque and just a great little town to visit. Plenty of great pubs (many of them with traditional Irish sessions) and cafes.
- Aillwee Cave – This cave is quite nice. They bring you though the original cave where bears hibernated 8,000+ years ago, so pretty cool if you like that sort of thing (I do)! It is also quite scary if you’re claustrophobic (like me) haha
- Father Ted house – It is what it is. If you haven’t watched Father Ted, you should go do so right now! For those of you who aren’t familiar with Father Ted, it’s an Irish comedy based on a priest and his life in Ireland.
- Drive around – Just get in the car and drive around the Burren (an amazing, picturesque, historic area of the county made of up of rock formations, fossils and glacial-era limestone. And plenty of wildlife. A historian’s dream! ) and the countryside. Such beautiful views and amazing landscape. Some of the pictures shown are just from pulling over in random areas!
A few last tips?
- Get a car to drive around, the views are amazing between destinations! – get a jeep if possible
- Get out early to maximize that sunshine & capture that Golden Hour
- Wear boots or some sort of waterproof shoes – this tip applies to Ireland in general! haha
Hope you like this post and it helps if you’re thinking of going to Co. Clare, either during your trip to Ireland or away for a staycation!